21 June 2008

The Schedule is Now Set

So training has returned to my world in a big way. It feels very good to be back on the horse, putting my wintertime difficulties behind me and moving on.
My training schedule is fairly involved, and is really focused upon my 2008 Halfmax National Championship entry that I earned last year at the Grand Columbian Half Ironman. Between the race and now, I will be doing various Olympic and Half Iron races in the region. My first race is the Hagg Lake Olympic on July 12. This is the same course used to host the USAT Nationals, and is quite hilly and challenging. I rode 62 miles out that way today and felt solid, both on wattage and heart rate, so we’ll see how that race goes.
Other races this year include the mid-summer Blue Lake event and the Black Diamond Half Ironman. With Coach Ciaverella’s guidance, I have no doubt that I will be well prepared for each event. The main goal of my training is to ensure complete control of my bike in the aero position and to insert some speed work to my running intervals. So far, so good, in both areas.
My return to full-on training came with a new purchase. I’m the proud owner of a 2008 Kuota Kalibur, a tad bit of an upgrade from my old Cervelo Dual (which served me well in my first year). There are no excuses left, because my new bikeframe is quite aero and fully carbon. Between the new bike and the PowerTap, I’m now officially an obsessed tri-addict.

No comments: