02 October 2007

Marathon

I have been somewhat delinquent in my blog postings of late, but I have been harvesting our vineyard. The weather has been difficult to dodge, so we pick during short dry windows and pray for no rot. Needless to say, this is not conducive to training on a schedule, and luckily Coach Dave has let me free wheel since the Grand Columbian.

With my Ironman only 9 months away, the marathon aspect of the races becomes more daunting by the day. To quell my fear, I have decided to do a marathon in December in Sacramento with a teammate from the MAC Tri Team. The California International Marathon takes place on December 2nd, and the course runs from Folsom to Sacto.

According to my coach, I have 85% of the fitness from my Half-Ironman necessary to complete the marathon with a solid time. Why waste all of that training and not cross off another goal of mine, right?

The crazy part will be the lack of cycling and minimal swimming until the race is over. On one hand, I will miss the Saturday rides (and I bet I will sneak out to a couple of them), but I am excited to know what a marathon feels like. All of this is so wild, being that nothing seemed more unachievable than a marathon 6 months ago. The best part will be the increased fitness from running this race, and the confidence I will gain in my weakest discipline.

1 comment:

Dave Ciaverella, Odyssey Coaching said...

Stay strong AJ, you are just beginning but remember...the sky is the limit in this sport. Keep thinking big!

dc