23 September 2007

Training without Structure

I am a man without a country; more specifically, I have no races scheduled for the rest of the year and I am lost!

Since March I have had training programs, race dates that were frighteningly close, and highly important training sessions. Once I crossed the finish line at the Grand Columbian, my thoughts were on what race I could sign up for next before the weather shuts me out.

Since the race, I have recovered nicely, enjoyed a superb deep-tissue massage, and began training again. The most frustrating aspect of all of this is that I have no structure. Being a Type A personality, this free flowing model of training is uncomfortable at best.

Coach Dave told me that I was not allowed to run after the race and to focus on swimming and relaxing. After two swim sessions, I decided that sucked and convinced my coach that I should be allowed to run. Once I got the blessing, I knocked out two 6 milers on Thursday and Friday, rode 45 miles yesterday with the Ironheads, and ran a very comfortable 10 miler at Forest Park with the Ironheads this morning. My fitness is definitely coming back and improving beyond what I entered the Grand Columbian with, as I was able to hold 7:40's comfortably this morning.

Tomorrow I begin lifting weights for the first time since March, which will be a trip. I am not overly excited about spending my time in the weight room, as the last 6 months have been a great break, but I look forward to improving my strength after a successful season.

No comments: